Saturday 17 March 2007

in charge...

Hurray! I'm free for a whole week! No work for me, my parents have gone on holiday for the week and I'm looking after their house and all the animals. What joy.Let me introduce you...

This is Poppy, she is my favourite dog in all the world.

Marble, 19 and still going strong!

Early & Lucy, looking a bit muddy but enjoying their hay.

Saracen (named after my mums favourite gladiator from Gladiators)

And also various chickos wandering about the place (But seen as there's 18 of them I won't tell you all the names today, here is Ducky, he's the Daddy.)

Im so looking forward to my week of peace and quiet, good company (see above!) long walks and lots of time for making things. I've been waiting for this week for months, a chance to catch up on all the things I pick up when I get in from work but have to put down to make tea or sleep; all the things I wish I could be doing when at work staring at a spreadsheet; all the things I want to do but haven't got space in my little house. I'm sure the time's going to fly by, but hey!


I just got back from a little walk with Poppy, it's really windy, and it's great to get some air in my lungs. Some air that hasn't come out the exhaust pipe of a bus. I remember how much I love the countryside, and specifically this little bit of the countryside, where I grew up, and my dad grew up and his dad grew up. I feel like I belong here, the trees and the river and the steep hills. I suppose I was lucky to have all this to play in as a child. I used to spend hours making treasue from sticks and grass, drawing maps and making dens, secret places. I suppose it's made me what I am today.

hmmm...

And there's nothing like a big hill to clear the cobwebs away!


The rock I am on top of here is called sluring rock (well, by me anyway), one side is slanted with a handy groove for climbing, but the other is a long sheer drop. When I was little my parents used to use this as an incentive to get me up the hill; if I walked all the way without complaining then I would be allowd to climb sluring rock, and what a treat, you feel like you're on top of the world.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi Sarah - I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your blog. I check it every day! - Barbara

Sarah said...

Hi Barbara, I glad you like it! Sometimes I think I'm just rambling, but I suppose that's what it's all about... enjoy!

amisha said...

enjoy your week! it looks so lovely and relaxing... beautiful countryside, wonderful animals to spend time with, time for art + craft... perfect.