Sunday 18 March 2007

disaster strikes!

Oh no, I can't believe what's just happened! Today the weather seems to have turned on me, it's blowing a (very small) gale and a mixture of hail stones and snow is falling out of the sky. The horsies are in a field up the hill with a small shelter whilst my parents are away, and seen as it's snowing and they look miserable I thought 'hey, I know I'll move them down to their stable where it's warm and dry and they can eat some hay.' Good idea you may think... perhaps not.

Whilst trying to get the head collars on in the wind and snow (in the field that has now turned to ankle-deep mud) Lucy decides she had better plans, pushes the gate open a fraction and trots off into the road. Fantastic! Now she's only a small pony, but she's got hidden strength! I grabbed the only thing I could reach, her tail, but that didn't stop her one bit, all that's happening now is I'm being dragged down the road, the dog's gone in the other direction, and a car's coming. Wait, it gets better...

So I manage to get the rope from the head collar round her neck, slightly more control here, but back in the field Early is panicking. She doesn't like being seperated from Lucy, so she shoves the gate a bit more and, there you go, it swings open and she's off too! Trotting down the road, rope trailing, tail flowing in the wind, freeeee!

Well I managed to get the gate of another field open down the road, and the temptation of a field full of grass was too much for Lucy (in fact I think this is where she was aiming for all along...). In she goes. So she's safely munching away, Early realises she is on her own, perhaps my luck's changing, trots into the new field. I swiftly close the gate on the pair of them. Phew. I think I just stood there for about 5 minutes in the snow, heat beating, thinking how that could have turned out. No, don't.

All that remains for me to do is get them back down to the stable before night time, I think a bucket full of food should tempt them... wish me luck!

3 comments:

Peg said...

GOOD LUCK!
:)

Sarah said...

Thanks Peg! It was all ok in the end as my uncle helped me get them down, I held the ropes very fimly!
Only problem now is that a chicken has gone missing...

amisha said...

so glad it turned out well in the end! what a harrowing experience... and in the hail no less! hope the rest of your week is more relaxing!