More prints, more cutting. And a wheelbarrow ride round the garden. Turbo blast off...
Friday, 18 April 2014
I don't know why it's taken me so long to work this out. I've been trying on and off for years to make a photo album I'm happy with... one with pages sturdy enough to support the photos yet not too stiff; with spacers to pad out the pages and accommodate photos without looking unsightly or getting in the way; with a sturdy spine that will withstand the weight of added photos...
I've tried sewing a book with double the amount of pages then cutting alternate ones out but it's hard to get neat and wasteful of paper. I've tried sewing pages to a concertina spine which works as padding but just didn't feel quite stable enough. I've tried folding the edges of pages over and sewing, or gluing, with guards, without and it always came out wonky. To be brief I've tried a lot! And never been quite satisfied.
But yesterday it came to me, just like that. I've been making concertinas from folded single sheets glued back to back for a while (like a line of alternating Vs), it's the Japanese method I think, and suddenly I realised if I pointed all the Vs the same way and put spacers at the spine edge I could glue it all together in the same way, and it would stay straight and square. Turns out it's sturdy with the sort of page thickness I want and the spacers are hidden too.
So, this may be obvious, or just the way it's done, it's probably got a name but I'm just glad I've discovered it. :)
Friday, 24 January 2014
Hand behind the tool. Don't slip. Practicing curves, wood chip in my eye. Soon I've got to walk across the park and it will be dark on our return, time for tea and pajamas and duplo and hopefully not tantrums. But for 20 minutes longer the (fading) light belongs to me.
Wednesday, 22 January 2014
More woodblock printing today. Same blocks but after reading a few books and watching lots of YouTube videos I tried less water, better soaked paper and lots more ink. Gouach this time, not watered down and painted but straight from the tube and mixed on the plate with a little stubby brush (marubake). Getting there. Now I need to cut more wood...