Saturday 24 November 2007

knitting experiment 2


Today I have been knitting. I managed to get up early (perhaps my body clock is finally adjusting to winter time...) and decided to attempt knitting in the round. And cables. 


I think sometimes I get too comfortable with what I'm able to do. I find a level and sit there, carrying on with what I know, with the thought at the back of my mind that anything else would be too hard. And then one day I'll suddenly think 'actually, I should have a go' and my brain pleasantly surprises me. It's just a case of having a go isn't it. It also makes me wonder what else I take for granted that I can't do, when actually, if I was just to try...


 Anyway, after trying about 5 patterns for fingerless gloves I decided on this one (I haven't made the thumb here as this is just a test run to see how the pattern works). The others patterns I tried were lace and the wool I had was too chunky, it just looked a mess. I'm pleased with he simplicity of this one, a good introduction to 4 needles and cables I think! 

All I need to do now is pull this one back (sob!) extend the cuff so the gloves go up my arm and make the distance between thumb and fingers shorter (I've only got little fingers :) ) Oh, and not drop any stitches and pick them up backwards; that really ruins the look!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

they look terrific, and they are very useful in doors and out. i am wearing mine right now as i write, they do help to keep my hands warm while typing away.

Sarah said...

You are so clever - is there no end to your talents?! Glad the job is working out. Was impressed I know what a bone folder is! ha ha

Anna said...

Ah I have seen a pattern for yoga socks that kind of work the same way. May have to make them at some point... I have a great fear of falling flat on my face at yoga...

Jessica said...

I tagged you on my blog..play along if you'd like...