Sunday 11 November 2007

experiment

Single sheet coptic binding across the spine, from Keith Smith's book 'Volume IV Non-Adhesive Binding: Sewing Single Sheets.' I bought this book a few years ago, and all the bindings seemed way too complicated then. In fact I never completed one...


A few days ago I picked up the book again, dusted it off (literally!) and decided to have another go...


This is my first attempt at the first structure in the book, and it's definitely much more complicated that anything I've sewn before. When I look at the diagrams of the sewing path I think I will never be able to follow them, but taking each a step at a time I have at least come up with something. Practice is in order I think...



I like this structure. It allows single sheets to be bound together and yet still open flat. Lots of potential...



Yes. Practice.

5 comments:

Bianca said...

looks tricky...

Sarah said...

Sarah you are so clever! I'm trying to master the basic open spine books. I want to perfect it before I try something else you know? But yes, I need lots of practice!
Hope the new job is going well.

Sarah said...

I think one of my problems is not perfecting things before I move on, I like to jump about a bit! (a lot) (as you're probably aware...) There are too many good things to try aren't there!?

Yvette said...

Oh this is my favourite, or one of my favourite bindings, oh hell it's my favourite, I love the exposed quality of the spine and the neat binding technique. I haven't done the single sheet one yet, yours looks great though.

amisha said...

this binding is lovely... you did a beautiful job! and i'm so excited for you with your new job and all that you are learning and practicing. it sounds like you are doing wonderfully so far :)
xo