Friday 25 July 2008

sunshine

Well, I think summer has finally arrived today... It's been raining for what seems like weeks, but today it was warm and sunny and I went out for a walk at lunch time without my coat on, the first time this year! I hope its sunny tomorrow too, because with all this rain my lawn seriously needs mowing...


Although it is quite tempting to just lie back on it and let the grass tickle my ears...

When I was little I used to love this time of year, when everything is so lush and green and humming. The grass in the field that surrounds my parents house was always a few feet tall by now, grass and clover and all sorts of medow flowers growing free in preperation for mowing and hay making. I would go outside after tea, jump over the wall, lay in the grass in the evening sun and look at the sky. I always felt so safe cocooned up in the grassy hollow, the odd insect rustling below, the odd grass seed fluttering down, bees buzzing. And the grass smelt so... green. So different to the scratchy smell of haymaking to come. I felt miles away.


I always used to get in trouble; for flattening the grass, but I reckon it was worth it :)


I think I spend too much time in doors these days, time seems to go so quickly (and I'm not sure if its that there's not enough time to spend messing about outside, or if spending that time is what will make the time slow down... perhaps its a bit of both) Perhaps this weekend I should go on a nice long walk...

5 comments:

Carol said...

This is one of my best childhood memories - lying in the long grass in the paddock, watching the clouds and believing that no one could see me or know where I was. The grass was a bright shiny green and I still get a wave of nostalgia if I see a paddock of grass like that.

Sarah said...

happy days :)

Ciara Brehony said...

Isn't it wonderful to know that such a timeless pursuit knows no boundary such as time or geography or culture? The best of summer things to do...

Sarah said...

I hadn't thought of that, but thats a lovely thought :)

amisha said...

these summer memories are so lovely, sarah. so glad that you got some sunshine this week! happy weekend to you xox