Monday 28 July 2008

bananas

I've had a bit of a traumatic day today. When I started my job 8 months ago I was given a draw to store my things, things like sheets of paper, work in progress and tools. Not a massive draw, but not a small draw either.

So far so good, but the problem arises, you see, from working in an environment that creates heaps of paper scraps everyday; beautifully square cut scraps from the guillotine, strips of somerset and bockingford and heavy smooth cartridge, offcuts of books like mini books in themselves, and I find it almost impossible to throw any of these things in the bin, because (as the classic line goes) I'll definitely find a use for that...

So, for 8 months, in the draw they've gone...


And today was the day I had to sort it all out, because for at least a month now the draw has refused to close :)

To make myself feel better about having to get rid of all my lovely stash (well, I say all, if only that were all... I still have a shelf full, and a wardrobe or two full in my house, oh, and some boxes under the starirs, but you never know when you might need a nice bit of paper do you :) )

Anyway, to make myself feel better about all that stuff I couldn't use I re-purposed some boxes that had been sitting around into... well, more boxes, but boxes that will be very useful indeed.


The problem is, now it's occured to me that I can actually make boxes to any size I like, my box collection* looks set to grow rapidly...

*yes, there's a box collection, surely you're not surprised :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that surely is mad as a bag (or box) of badgers

fanny said...

I collect cardboard boxes, but each time my mum visits, she insists on cleaning up and tries to throw those away.

quite obviously, this does not make me happy.

xx fanny

Anonymous said...

I love containers of any sort... boxes, paper bags, carrying bags, purses, bottles...

Riverlark said...

LOVE these Sarah!!!
http://riverlark.blogspot.com/2008/07/more-boxes-not-mine.html

Anonymous said...

Please tell me there is a tutorial somewhere for those amazing boxes!!!

I must have some!

Ciara Brehony said...

Ah yes, boxes... my particular love is shoe boxes. Perfect for all those little scraps of fabric I will use someday. And threads, and buttons, and I could go on. I like to cover them in lovely paper though as they come pre-decorated and with one exception, not to my taste. However, the papering part is slow to actually get done.... sigh....