Thursday 16 October 2008

This week was the final class of the bookbinding course I've been teaching for the last few weeks in Headingley. We finished off the hard cover notebooks we've been making, triming the book blocks with a stanley knife, measuring and cutting the boards, gluing and fitting the covers... all in two hours, a bookbinding sprint!


And I'm proud to say everyone did a great job, all books fit into covers, all covers closed, and what a relief... because there's nothing worse than putting in all that work, folding, cutting, measuring, adjusting, measuring again, gluing, only to find out that right at the end your book won't shut (I've been there beleive me!) Pretty much the only thing you can do at that point is start again, so I was extra pleased it all worked out this time :)


Check out Hazel's fantastic work...

4 comments:

tulibri said...

Sarah, how on earth do you manage to get such straight edges when trimming with a stanley knife? I really wonder ... *sigh*

Sarah said...

Practice I think (and a sharp blade!) Although it's probably not as neat as it looks... :)

Anonymous said...

I was going to ask the same thing! That's great that I don't have to reply on machine made text blocks for my journals to get smooth or smother edges :)

Sarah said...

I line a metal ruler up with the line I want to cut, then really press down (standing up helps!) and cut with a fresh blade. I think the trick is to not to try and get through the book block too quickly, many steady strokes and patience are the key!