Wednesday, 24 February 2010

skull problem

I've been having a bit of trouble with my skull prints... They're etchings, and to print etchings the paper must be soaked. But paper, when soaked tends to stretch and shrink, which, to my dismay, doesn't go well at all with the precise measurements associated with concertina books...


So after spending the morning printing 5 strips of eight plates I found the next day they were about 2cm shorter and the pages wouldn't line up at all. That's the way to learn I suppose, it seems to be the way I'm learning at the moment at least... So. Onto plan B.


Individual sewn pages?
On a concertina spine?
French folded?

I wish there were more hours in the day!

6 comments:

acornmoon said...

That is a tricky one! wish I could help.

Velma said...

i still like how this is morphing. isn't it always the way, that you have this wonderful idea, except for one little thing...

Louise Atkinson said...

The main thing is the etchings look great. As frustrating as it is, celebrate the start and the rest will come later :)

Conduit Press said...

what a beautiful book it will turn out to be- keep your head up, it will turn out;)

Fiona said...

The end product will be worth it and it will be beautiful. Your work is so neat and lovely. Soon I'll buy something from you.

Paper Chipmunk said...

I've found that often it's the things not working that lead to having to try something else that turns out to be better than the original idea. Something fantastic will suddenly suggest itself, I'm sure (as for a few extra hours...sigh...)