Tuesday, 4 November 2008

Thanks to this fantastic tutorial from Pied Crow Press, I've been learning how to sew endbands this week...


I've been wanting to learn how to do this for ages, and now, thanks to Iris, I can! I can't wait to have a play around with using more colours, and different cores (and better sewing!)


I did start to case this book into a cover, but when I was trimming off a tiny bit of the endpaper, I stupidly cut right across the stitching... dur. But I sewed it again, with a thinner bit of string for the core, and it looked much neater. So far so good.

I got the new cover all cut and measured and fitting, and got the book all stuck in and looking right... but then blobbed a huge glue finger print right in the middle of the endpaper.

And there was something slightly satisfying about getting a stanley knife and cutting the book from its cover. No pictures because it's too dark now. Perhaps I'll keep it as a kind of deconstructable example :)

2 comments:

acornmoon said...

It looks great, thanks for the link to the tutorial. Our group is having a demonstration about this in January so no doubt I will get to practice at some stage. A friend of mine makes pared leather headbands which look lovely also.

Iris @ Pied Crow Press said...

Hooray! I'm so glad to see my instructions were clear enough for you to use them! :) It looks great, you did such a nice job. I do like the cord cores - it comes out much rounder than leather strips. I might have to try that!